Thursday, February 23, 2012

Believing in a Haunted House

The fear is always nameless
I'm not sure I'd name it if I could
Like a serpent coiled in my gut
I open my mouth in soundless screams.

Fists clenched, eyes squeezed shut,
I'm prostrate on this sitting couch
Crying: "Father, hear the words I cannot say,"
"Father, know me and that I am not enough."

But somewhere, soft as butterfly wings
I can hear a silent song begin to sing
Somewhere where only divine dwells
Lies a glory that even I cannot tell.

Teeth gritted, my face a grimace
Know how afraid I am yet to be alone.
Crying: "Oh, Father, I need Your help."
Crying: "Father, I am not enough."

But, Father, the night creatures come biting
With wordless whispers of their own.
They lie about me, encircling me, waiting
I can see their eyes gleaming
I can hear my heart beating.

Waiting for me to fall,
Waiting for me to step into the unknown,
Waiting for me to fall.

I squeeze shut my eyes again
I can see a glory in my mind's eye,
"Oh, Father, help."

No comments:

Post a Comment